Lucas County Chapter
of the Ohio Genealogical Society
Bylaws of the Lucas County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
ARTICLE I — NAME
The name of this organization shall be the Lucas County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
ARTICLE II — PURPOSE
The Purpose of the Chapter shall be to foster an interest in and preservation of historical and genealogical material of Lucas County, to encourage individuals to research their heritage, to promote education, to support the state society's projects whenever possible. Implementation shall be outlined in the Standing Rules and Procedures.
ARTICLE III — MEMBERSHIP
Membership in this Chapter shall be open to all persons interested in history and/or genealogy who shall be enrolled through the payment of dues.
ARTICLE IV – EXECUTIVE BOARD
1. The Executive Board of this Chapter shall consist of eight trustees. From within this Board, there shall be elected four officers: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer.
2. The Executive Board shall manage the affairs of the Chapter.
3. No trustee may serve more than three consecutive years as the same officer, except the Treasurer who may serve for up to five consecutive years. No trustee may serve more than 10 consecutive years on the Executive Board.
4. A member of the Chapter, who is an officer or trustee of the Ohio Genealogical Society, may serve as a voting trustee, but may not Chair the Executive Board.
5. Vacancies in the Board that occur between annual elections shall be filled by appointment from the Executive Board.
6. Following the November meeting, outgoing officers shall turn over all records and books pertaining to their offices, Chapter properties, etc., to the newly elected Executive Board. The Treasurer’s books shall be audited, and in turn, the Trustee shall file a report of that audit at the first meeting in February.
ARTICLE V — MEETINGS
1. Regular meetings of the Chapter will be held as designated in the Standing Rules.
2. The Annual Meeting shall be held in November.
3. Special business meetings may be called by the Chairman, a majority of the Executive Board, or by petition of 10 members in good standing with a minimum notice of seven days to all members.
4. Eleven members present at any regular or special meeting for which the notice has been given to all members shall constitute a quorum. Said notice shall be as stated in the Standing Rules.
ARTICLE VI — COMMUNICATIONS
The Chapter may establish and utilize such means of communication as the members consider feasible to publicize its activities, encourage membership, and create interest in local records. These may include a newsletter, web site on the Internet, e-mail and such other publications or communications methods as will promote the stated goals of the Chapter.
ARTICLE VII — TAX EXEMPTION
1. This Chapter is organized exclusively for the purposes set forth in Article II, subject to the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, or any subsequent code.
2. This Chapter shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on by an organization with tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) or any subsequent code as a non-profit, educational organization.
3. No part of the earnings of the Chapter shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons.
4. Upon dissolution of this Chapter, all funds and tangible assets, or revenue from the sale of such assets, shall be given to the Local History and Genealogical Department of the Toledo/Lucas County Public Library.
ARTICLE VIII — PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in the current edition of ROBERT'S RULES OF ORDER NEWLY REVISED shall govern the Chapter in all cases to which they are applicable and are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special rules of order the Chapter may adopt.
ARTICLE IX — AMENDMENT
1. These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the members present at any meeting of the Chapter, provided due notice of the proposed amendment has been given to all members, either at a previous regular meeting or 30 days in advance through the chapter newsletter.
2. Standing Rules, when adopted by the Chapter, may be amended at any meeting of the Executive board, provided that prior notice has been given to all Board members.
ARTICLE X — MEMBERSHIP IN OHIO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
1. The trustees of Lucas County Chapter should be members of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
2. At least fifteen members of Lucas County Chapter must be members of the Ohio Genealogical Society.
These Bylaws were adopted October 1995; amended January 18, 1997; reviewed by Executive Board on January 10, 2002; adopted by membership on March 16, 2002; reviewed by the Executive Board on in November 2011; adopted on 21 January 2012.our paragraph here.